For years, my family ate a lot of pasta and noodles. Especially lasagna, after my brother-in-law pointed out to me the no-boil recipe on the side of the box.
And then my family got sick of lasagna.
So for the past few years, especially once it was just me and Tom, we've mainly had grilled chicken or pork and a big, colorful salad.
But that can get old, too, and sometimes you just crave something a little more substantial. So that's why I'm grateful I was able to participate in this Healthy Choice review and try out some of their frozen entrees.
Yes, this is another review, and here's the disclosure: I was lucky enough to be chosen as a participant in Vibrant Influencer Network Healthy Choice campaign, which means I was sent coupons for free products and will be paid to express my honest opinions about them.
Rest assured I am giving you my own opinion.
I signed up for this review because, especially as I've gotten older, I focus on nutrition when making food choices and am always on the lookout for new, healthy products.
Now, on to my experience with the Healthy Choice Baked Entrees...
I was still a little concerned about the amount of sodium...
...but honestly, take a look at the ingredients. For the most part, and especially at the beginning of the list where it's most important, they are all recognizable and real food! And less than 300 calories!
That doesn't happen very often.
They were easy to prepare. Just cut a little slit in the film covering the tray, pop in the microwave for 5 or 6 minutes, let stand a couple more, stir, and enjoy!
You can see there's a lot of broccoli, in good sized chunks, not just little sprinklings.
This may not look like a lot of lasagna, but it was just the right size! And less than 300 calories! (Did I already mention that?)
Plus it tasted good!
The Chicken Alfredo was creamy and cheesy, and I was impressed by the amount of broccoli in it. The lasagna was a little spicy, which I liked...very meaty and flavorful.
These are perfect for empty nesters who are craving something with noodles and yummy sauce, but aren't in the mood to go out or have the noodles and yummy sauce as leftovers for days and days.
I'll be stocking our freezer with a few, that's for sure. There are plenty to choose from:
· Four Cheese Ziti Marinara:Freshly-made ziti pasta tossed with classic marinara and topped with a blend of fine Italian cheeses; Parmesan, Romano, Asiago and mozzarella.
· Roasted Chicken and Potatoes:Savory slices of chicken breast with red skin potatoes, crisp carrots, and tender pearl onions in a light chicken and herb sauce.
· Fettuccini Alfredo Bake:A classic combination of freshly-made fettuccini pasta and rich Parmesan Alfredo sauce with crisp broccoli and topped with seasoned bread crumbs.
· Italian Sausage Pasta Bake:Freshly-made whole grain rotini pasta paired with juicy Italian sausage, tossed in a rich garlic marinara together with bubbling mozzarella cheese.
· Lasagna with Meat Sauce:Three rich layers of freshly-made pasta, hearty meat sauce, and ricotta cheese topped with mozzarella for perfection.
· Chicken & Rice Cheddar Bake:Whole grain brown & wild rice pilaf with crisp broccoli and sliced chicken breast in a creamy cheddar cheese sauce.
· Chicken & Spinach Alfredo:Freshly-made whole grain penne pasta tossed with sliced chicken breast, spinach and tomatoes in a creamy Alfredo sauce.
· Chicken Enchilada Bake:A full-flavored chicken enchilada over cilantro rice and topped with corn, black beans and a decadent queso sauce.
· Ravioli Marinara Bake:Rich ricotta and spinach filled al dente ravioli tossed in a tomato basil sauce and topped with fresh mozzarella cheese.
· Slow Roasted Turkey Bake:Slow roasted turkey breast accompanied by potatoes, butternut squash and crisp green beans topped with classical gravy and crispy onions.
Ah, it makes me hungry just reading the list! If you try any of these, let me know what your favorites are!