A year ago today, I whispered goodbye to this man and promised him I'd help keep an eye on his beloved wife.
It's hard to believe a whole year has gone by without him...until I stop and think of all that has happened in that time. So many changes.
Much happiness and laughter, but also much heartache, heartbreak, and many, many tears.
So for today's Five Things on Friday, I'm sharing five things about Pop:
1. I can still hear his voice. I'm grateful for that.
2. When he picked me and Tom up from the airport years ago, he always had a couple of cold beers waiting in the car for us. Later, Pop and I both switched to wine about the same time, and he was quick to offer me a glass as soon as we arrived for a visit. Cheers, Pop.
3. His eyes twinkled more than anyone else's I've ever known. He was such a flirt!
4. Nothing got my husband moving on finishing projects around the house more than an impending visit from his dad. And if there was something he couldn't get to in time, Pop would take care of it.
5. He never let anything keep him from going to Mass each week.
I love and miss you, Pop! I give thanks that you were in my life and honored to be among your daughters.
He didn't tell me how to live; he lived, and let me watch him do it.
~Clarence Budington Kelland